Monday, July 8, 2013

Rayla's Story


I am Rayla Boulderfist.  My sister is dead and I am alone.  Finally.  My sister Rayna was the troublesome daughter.  She thwarted our parents at every turn.  She ran away and did as she pleased.  I stayed.  I married the man they chose for me and ended up with a lazy drunken wife-beater.  We were moving yet again to escape an angry landlord and merchants and pub owners who wanted money owed to them; gambling buddies who wanted payment for lost wagers.    We were asleep under some trees away from the camp when our small caravan was attacked.   Hidden and undiscovered by the raiders when the fight was over somehow my worthless husband had a knife stuck between his ribs.  When they were gone I gathered what I could pack and made my way here to Bremel.  Here at the temple of Torag these last weeks I’ve made peace with the choices I’ve made.  Now I’m looking for a life of my own choosing, an adventure.  I will guide my own future from now on.  The group of men I see before me look beaten down but not defeated.  If Rayna was willing to throw her fate in with theirs I will take the same leap and trust them.  Still, I’ll keep my wits about me and my knife at my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment